If you recall from a previous post entitled “Welcome 2014,” I made three resolutions for this year. I resolved to publish this blog every week, to read 80 books by the end of the year, and to create a piece of art or a craft project each month. To keep me honest to these resolutions, I tried posting my progress each month on this blog. That didn’t last too long, though.
This year has been a roller coaster. I had surgery on my foot, had a miscarriage, quite a few family members has surgery, and two family members passed away. Amidst all these events, I let my resolutions die. I have not continued to make art or be crafty each month. I find my creativity is more suited to writing, though this will not stop me from creating on canvas in the future. I also did not publish to this blog every week. Some weeks took so much out of me that I had nothing left to give to the written word. Some weeks I had so much to say about what was happening that I let myself become too overwhelmed to write. I have published over 76 posts on this blog, though, and as it’s only been around for a little over a year, I say I made my 52-post quota at least.
Here are a few pictures of the art projects I have completed since last posting my progress on my resolutions:
Despite these disappointing resolution fails, I did manage to keep my resolution to read 80 books or more. I just barely squeaked by with 81 books, and although these include some children’s books, many young adult books, and quite a few graphic novels, I am proud of this achievement. Here are the books I read this year:
- Allen, Sarah Addison. Lost Lake.
- Anderson, Laurie Halse. Prom.
- Andrews, Mary Kay. Spring Fever.
- Andrews, Mary Kay. Summer Rental.
- Andreyko, Marc. Fairest: Of Mice and Men (4).*
- Bauby, Jean-Dominique. The Diving Bell and the Butterfly.
- Beukes, Lauren. Fairest Vol. 2: Hidden Kingdom.*
- Black, Holly. The Coldest Girl in Cold Town.
- Bray, Libba. A Great and Terrible Beauty.
- Brin, David. The Life Eaters.*
- Butcher, Jim. Skin Game.
- Chapman, Gary. The 5 Love Languages.
- Dahl, Roald. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.
- Dahl, Roald. Charlie and the Glass Elevator.
- Dahl, Roald. James and the Giant Peach.
- Dahl, Roald. Matilda.
- Dahl, Roald. The Witches.
- DeConnick, Kelly Sue. Captain Marvel: Higher, Further, Faster, More (1).*
- Dessen, Sarah. Just Listen.
- Dessen, Sarah. Keeping the Moon.
- Dessen, Sarah. The Truth About Forever.
- Dessen, Sarah. Someone Like You.
- Dessen, Sarah. That Summer.
- Dessen, Sarah. Dreamland.
- Dessen, Sarah. Along for the Ride.
- Dessen, Sarah. The Moon and More.
- Dessen, Sarah. This Lullaby.
- Dessen, Sarah. What Happened to Goodbye.
- Dessen, Sarah. Lock and Key.
- Dickens, Charles. A Christmas Carol.
- Dickens, Charles. Hard Times.
- Elwes, Cary. As You Wish: Inconceivable Tales from the Making of The Princess Bride.
- Forman, Gayle. If I Stay.
- Gaiman, Neil. The Sandman, Vol. 1: Preludes & Nocturnes.*
- Goldman, William. The Princess Bride.
- Green, John. Paper Towns.
- Greer, Judy. I Don’t Know What You Know Me From.
- Grossman, Lev. The Magicians. (I only read half of this book as I found the main character annoying and the plot was not worth further reading. Because I read over 200 pages of it, however, I did decide to include it on this list. Never push yourself to read a book you don’t enjoy; this could ruin your love of reading.)
- Haddon, Mark. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time.
- Hammond, Diane. Hannah’s Dream.
- Hammond, Diane. Friday’s Harbor.
- Hart, Miranda. Is It Just Me?
- Hurston, Zora Neale. Their Eyes Were Watching God.
- Khoury, Jessica. Vitro.
- Kirkman, Robert. The Walking Dead, Vol. 18: What Comes After.*
- Kirkman, Robert. The Walking Dead, Vol. 19: March to War.*
- Kirkman, Robert. The Walking Dead, Vol. 20: All Out War Part One *
- Kirkman, Robert. The Walking Dead, Vol. 21: All Out War Part Two.*
- Kirkman, Robert. The Walking Dead, Vol. 22: A New Beginning.*
- Lewis, C. S. The Magician’s Nephew.
- Lewis, C. S. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe.
- Lewis, C. S. The Horse and His Boy.
- Lewis, C. S. Prince Caspian.
- Lewis, C. S. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader.
- Lewis, C. S. The Silver Chair.
- Lewis, C. S. The Last Battle.
- Meyer, Marissa. Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles).
- Meyer, Marissa. Scarlet (The Lunar Chronicles).
- Meyer, Marissa. Cress (The Lunar Chronicles).
- Moran, Caitlin. How to Be a Woman.
- O’Neal, Barbara. The All You Can Dream Buffet.
- O’Neal, Barbara. How to Bake a Perfect Life.
- O’Neal, Barbara. The Lost Recipe of Happiness.
- O’Neal, Barbara. The Secret of Everything.
- Paterson, Katherine. Bridge to Terabithia.
- Pearce, Jackson. Cold Spell (Fairy Tale Retelling).
- Perkins, Stephanie. Isla and the Happily Ever After.
- Poehler, Amy. Yes Please.
- Roth, Veronica. Allegiant.
- Showalter, Gena. Alice in Zombieland.
- Showalter, Gena. Through the Zombie Glass.
- Showalter, Gena. The Queen of Zombie Hearts.
- Stiefvater, Maggie. The Raven Boys.
- Stiefvater, Maggie. The Dream Thieves (The Raven Cycle).
- Truss, Lynne. Eats, Shoots & Leaves.
- Wiebe, Kurtis J. Rat Queens: Sass and Sorcery (1).*
- Williams, Sean E. Fairest: The Return of the Maharaja (3).*
- Willingham, Bill. Fables: Snow White (19).*
- Willingham, Bill. Fables: Camelot (20).*
- Willingham, Bill. Fables: Werewolves of the Heartland.*
- Wilson, G. Willow. Marvel: No Normal (1).*
*These are graphic novels.
As for 2015, I do have a few resolutions for myself. These are as follows:
1. Worry less about other people’s problems.
2. Say “No” to obligations more often, and be honest about what I want to do.
3. Have more days with the TV off.
4. Write at least 52 blog posts.
5. Read at least 25 books. (With the expected arrival of our baby boy, I wanted to give myself I break on this one as I have no idea how busy I’ll be as a first-time parent.)
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!